After the introduction of the French Lebel 1886 in 8 mm, the Austrians found themselves in a position of subjugation because their rifle regulation was still the Mannlicher 1886 11mm caliber. It was then decided to develop a new ammunition similar to the French, and so the Mannlicher 1888 model 8x50R caliber black powder was born. A total of approximately 290,000 copies were produced from the Arsenal OEWG Steyr (Österreichische Gesellschaft Waffenfabrik Werndl in Steyr). In 1890, after the introduction of the smokeless powder and corresponding ammunition, the rear sight was modified by applying two plates to uphold their calibration from 300 to 1800 steps (225-1350 m) on the left-hand scale and from 2000 to 3000 steps (1500 - 2250 m) in the right graduation and became the 1888-90 model. Many of these rifles were taken by the Italians as war booty in 1917 and subsequently deployed in the Second World War. The 1888/90 model was also officially delivered to Bulgaria, Greece and Hungary, but also used in the Chilean Civil War of 1891.